Tuesday 6 September 2011

Reflections On Strathclyde Standard

So its now 2 days on from the race, and its time for some more (sober) reflection on it & how I'm feeling physically.

Generally, I just feel physically drained. On the lead up to the race, I wasn't prepping properly. My calves were sore, my nutrition was all over the shop & I didn't sleep particularly well Friday or Saturday, so I woke up tired and sluggish. Race day adrenaline cleared all that out so that when I hit the water I felt fresh though.

In the first 250m of the swim I was caught up in the frantic nature of it all & swinging my arms fast, which didn't help my technique. The times when I slowed down my stroke and focused more on technique, I could feel myself accelerating. And then I lost focus again and slowed. I'll get there.

On the bike, my hips were again unsurprisingly tight, and a few times my calves felt like they wanted to cramp up (particularly if I was standing up in the pedals on a hill), so I had to nurse them a few times.

Like I said in my last one, my legs were feeling it and I couldn't get a good rhythm going, but alone side that, I was sloppy in so many other areas than just my legs, slumping too much at the shoulders and letting my core sag more than I should've. Yes, I know when you're already tired from everything else its harder to use these muscles the way you want to, but that just means I need to be strengthening them up more over the winter.

At the end of the day, I'm not really disappointed with the times, but I am still disappointed in myself, as I allowed excuses and thoughts of next year to not put in the training that I should've for an event of this distance. I know I can go faster than that, as long as I get my finger out.

Since then, I've had two nights of not particularly good quality sleep, too much refined sugar & caffeine (my vices) and not enough fresh chow. I feel a bit like a half shut knife & I know I should chill out and rest... it'll happen eventually.

Today's blog was brought to you by a bit of Industial from 94, in the form of Oxyacetalene by Cubanate. Get yer dancin togs on!

No comments:

Post a Comment