Sunday 8 April 2012

7 Sleeps Till Lochaber

Back home from tonights swim session, taught by the Awesome Alex (and I can feel the technique improvements bedding in - need to sort out a few things with relaxing, breathing & swim stamina, and I could get alright at this swimming malarky!), so I'm now 7 sleeps away from my first ever marathon, at Lochaber, and I'm left with one question:

When did the thought of running a marathon stop being a scary thing?

Don't get me wrong, next Saturday, I'll be high as a kite a probably quite nervous, but a week out and I've been more intimidated by the the thougt of a 10km at this stage in the past. Part of the thing is that I am thinking ahead to Challenge Roth, and the fact that the marathon comes after the swim and the cycle, so in my mind at least it reduces the sicnificance of a marathon but c'mon, I'm still about to go and run 26 miles.

Maybe there's a bit of naivity and cockiness, because I've done halfs and a 70.3 as well as in prep for Roth, I think it'll be doable but I have no real concept of the world of pain I could be about to enter into, but the flip of that is Lisboa 70.3 and the South Side 6 have shown me that I can dig down into sheer guts and determination and drive myself on to the finish line, so barring something out of my control, there is no reason why I can't cross the line.

An added pressure reliever is I have an ideal time that should be possible, but that's not my target, its purely to finish. Anything else is a bonus.

So just now, I'm not scared, or overawed, or bricking it, I just have a growing excitment for race day, tinged with just the right amount of nervous energy to keep me grounded. My legs feel in good condition, so I'll have a few short gentle runs during the week to keep me sharp and then its roll on Sunday!!

Tonight's blog is brought to you by:
No Sleep Till Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
Dragonaut - Sleep
Sleep Whale - mom

No comments:

Post a Comment