Saturday 31 March 2012

A Magnificent March

In my quest to complete the my first ever Ironman/Long Distance Triathlon, March will turn out to be a crucial month I suspect. Starting in the warmth of Fuertaventura and ending in unseasonally amazing weather, it has been the shift up the gears that my training required. Now, however, its about maintaining & increasing the intensity when required.

We did a 10 mile time trial today and I'm maybe thinking too hard about the long stuff though, particularly on the bike. There were niggling thoughts in my mind though about the likes of my quads, which are still feeling tight after last weekends duathlon, but is this just a self imposed limiter, part of a mental block that stops me maxing out?
I know I can hit 100%, at least on short activities (particularly runs), but am I too concerned about blowing up or injury that I'm over restricting myself? I've felt this before in other aspects of life to be honest - its like I've got a level switch to protect myself, but the limit is set too low, at like 75%, where it would be safe to have it up to 85 - 90%, and off completely for those short, fasts, sprint moments.
Dunno, just something to think about I guess.

Anyways, regardless, I went out with a pace in mind and I nailed it, which in the long term will be a good thing I suspect.

So I need to keep consistent, keep getting stronger and slowly raise that level switch to maximise my potential, because after the month I've had, I can feel it bubbling away inside me all the more and if I can nurture it properly, oooooh I'd love to see it properly unleashed!

Today's blog is brought to you by:
Hours of Trance music
Higher and Higher
Free Fallin'
Peaches by Presidents of the United States
Pride (Times Are Changing) by Madball
The Badge by Poison Idea


No comments:

Post a Comment