Monday 7 May 2012

Scottish Summer?

Its May. On Friday I went out on the bike with a jacket and trousers on and sweated like a beast. Saturday I took a spin out to Wheelcraft and back in 3/4 length trousers and 2 t-shirts (and later took a dip in the 8degC water of Loch Lomond with my wetsuit on and froze my hands). Today I looked out the window and thought I could get away with the same, including my fingerless gloves, as long as I took a rain jacket with me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I had in my mind a 100km route, and I was taking it nice and easy as I was looking for a fairly steady & gentle cruise round the route. I got to the crow, passing Mark R on his way down as I climbed up. Towards the top, the rain came on, so I stopped and put on the jacket (one of the best decisions of the day) and carried on. As I started dropping down the other side, the rain came on harder turning to hail a little. Down & down I dropped, past Clair on her way out of the grim weather in the valley below that I was heading into. Through Fintry, I was getting soaked and cold, but the sky looked brighter over towards Kippen compared to the way I'd just come, so I slogged on, promising myself a hot chocolate in Kippen to keep me going. Coming up to Top of the World my fingers were struggling to work the gears and I lost all feeling in the fingertips of my right hand with the cold, pressing on into Kippen, I joyfully stopped at the cafe to procure the hot chocolate and rest out of the wind to allow myself to thaw out. And it took a while. For the first couple of minutes after the hot chocolate arriving I couldn't hold it as the heat hurt my hands, but as the blood made it back out there I was able to get the sweet sweet chocolaty beverage into my stomach and feel the heat spread from there. Rather than risk cooling down from being sat too long, I got myself back out sooner than my hands would've liked. Rather than carrying on to Thornhill as I had intended, I turned back up the hill so that I was heading in the direction of home, but with the option of extending my ride south of the Campsies. Clearing Kippen, I could see that I'd made the right choice, as the valley, which had been clear of rain before I went for the drink, was obscured by the dark grey that only heavy rain can bring. There was nothing more than a drizzle on up to Top of the World and it held that way until half way to Fintry, with the rain getting heavier, but thankfully not the same level as earlier.

I was of a mind to go west out of Fintry & round to Strathblane, as it was looking clearer that way, and climbing over the Crow in heavy rain held zero appeal to me, but nearing Fintry it was clear that the weather was setting in bad over that road, so the Crow it was. Amazingly, as I approached the foot of the climb, the clouds thinned overhead and things got brighter (though not actually sunny, and there was no blue to be seen). Up, up and over I climbed, feeling way more comfortable than I had any right to, allowing myself to gun it on the way down, topping out at 70.6km/hr on the steepest section.

Not wanting to head straight for home, I turned towards Strathblane form Lennoxtown, then up to Milngavie, past Murray park and along to Torrance.  Coming through Milngavie my fingers were turning numb again but with tingling nerve pain in my hands (the damage that leads to vibration white finger in industry is made worse by having cold hands while working with vibrating equipment, so long term I assume you could get similar problems off of handle bars if you rode as stupidly as I did today), so a pit stop in Solid Rock Cycles was made to purchase appropriate gloves. And then it was Torrance, Bishopbriggs and home, with no finger / hand issues.

My solo 100km ride turned into a respectable 85km in pissy weather and was very worth while.

Hopefully it'll be warmer next time....

Tonight's blog is brought to you by:
Devin Townsend Project - Hyperdrive
Immortal - Antarctica

No comments:

Post a Comment