Saturday 12 May 2012

Today Was A Good Day

Today's goal was to get out & get some distance in on the bike.

Mission accomplished!

Starting at Pollok Park at 7.30 with 4 guys from the club, there was still a chill in the air, though the presence of the sun (*gasp*) meant that it wasn't too bad and started warming up not that long after.

It was a nice route to take, as I can see just how far I've come, particularly on hills - I used to be busted by the climb coming out of Barrhead to the reservoirs, but today I span up it without red lining my heart rate. The big showing for me though was the Ferenze Road climb - the first time I did it I baulked at the base and walked up it. Subsequent efforts have seen me reach the top, but sometimes with a break at the house round the bend but always breathing out of my arse. Today it hurt in places, but I never felt like it wasn't doable, and again, there was no red lining, just a steady grind. Following a pit stop in Stewarton after about 37km, we headed through Moscow & along a lot of very quiet back roads, with surfaces that varied from rough to immaculately smooth and the need for me to remove my arm warmers underneath the thin rain jacket I was wearing! Blessed sun, how I have missed You!

After tiring of following pylons it was on to Eaglesham then Newton Mearns down back into Glasgow, dodging drivers who didn't think they had to look where they were going, though thankfully Duggie escaped unscathed from his near encounter.

Back into Pollock park after 105 km and 5 hours of cycling it was a chance for me to do a slow as  transition, then put in a cheeky wee 30 minute 5km run. Would've considered doing more if my stomach wasn't so rumbly....

So thanks Duggie for an enjoyable route and thanks to y'all for the company.


I did the cycle today, and the last couple, using a number of High 5 gels & sports drink as they will be whats available at Roth, and thankfully I've had no bad reaction to any of them. The caffeine gels have a grim wee taste around the edge, but not too strong. All in all, I should be alright to use them come July.

I would like to push myself faster next time I'm out, perhaps a solo effort to see how fast I can put in 100 km...

Today's blog is brought to you by:
Mary Beats Jane - Old (because I couldn't get a version of Grind :( ) 
D. Ferenze ft. Gael Boom - They make me stronger snippet 
The phenominal drumming of Vitek (RIP - taken from the world far too young)
Decapitated - Spheres of Madness (for some more Vitek awesomeness)

No comments:

Post a Comment