Wednesday 4 July 2012

Approaching Journey's End

Its Wednesday. I fly tomorrow. I race Sunday. This Challenge finishes. The next one begins.

I had myself a 33ish km ride on Saturday up to the border at the top of the Crow and back to make sure the new tyres were bedded in. They felt brilliant. I just took my time through the lights and over any dodgy patches of road reached, and just enjoyed myself and the feel of the road. Sunday was spent on the sofa reading my book (The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, brilliant), finishing it off Monday morning before heading out to Gargunnock to check on things and clean my bike in the back garden, before heading back to Glasgow for yoga. Tuesday involved pulling all my bits and pieces together, getting a few last provisions then having a massage followed by the cinema with Mairi. Today I'll go and get my Euros, check-in online, print tickets and pack up.

There is a riot of emotions going on inside my head mind you; excitement, nerves, doubt, hope, more excitement and a detached analytical calm all in the mix. Race day is going to be crazyawesomescaryfun I think...!

Being so close to race day, alongside the spare time of taper, has allowed my tunnel vision for this event to open up & let me think about other things, like what to do next, old ideas clash with new; sub 40 min 10k time has been a longstanding goal, but the likes of Celtman are tempting, and work & personal commitments need to be brought clearer back into focus - I don't want to have Mairi sit through long distance triathlon again straight away, particularly as I have to get stuck into my Diploma again in the autumn.

I'm even thinking things like what to do with this blog after Roth; having got me there, should I write a race report and close it off, holding it at that moment in time & start fresh with a new one, or carry on as more and more challenges present themselves. Lets be honest, the first challenge afterwards, and an important part of LD Triathlon will be the recovery.

We shall see...

Today's blog is brought to you by
Europe: The Final Countdown
Sepultura: Roots Bloody Roots
David Lee Roth: Just Like Paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment