Sunday 2 October 2011

Edinburgh 10k

Driving over it was pissing down and I was doubting my decision, but by the time the start came, it had dried up. I switched back from my Inov8s to my old Nikes, as a 10k run at pace on roads felt a sure fired way to mess up my calves.

The route kicks off up the road round Arthur's Seat, which is quite a harsh way to start to be fair. My heart rate was quickly up & stayed up above 170 for pretty much the entire run (zone 5, apparently). There were way more draggy uphills than I'd thought on the course, and very few sections that were flat for long enough to get a good rythmn while allowing my pulse to lower, particularly if I was going to beat my PB.

The Garmin has become an important tool for me, and in this instance gave me something to focus on, to keep pushing onwards, as I could always see that my target was achievable.

So what went right? I picked a pace and stayed as close as I could throughout. THe pace was hard, yet achievable. I only occassionally let what other people were doing effect me; rather than reacting to someone passing me, I stuck to my race and pulled myself round. Job done.

What went wrong? Stupidly, I forgot to double knot my laces, so inevitably they both fell out. D'oh.

Garmin Data

This blog is brough to you by Machine Head's Locust and Bjork's Violently Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment