Thursday 27 October 2011

Running Up Yon Hill

We were back at the railway bridge over the Crow Road today, and really, it felt like an old friend. I'd say that this hill is where my first big improvement came in my running. Yes there was something of the fact that I'd been going to the sessions for a while so my body was getting used to running, but there was so much more. They were hard going and a struggle for me to complete without my lungs cracking their way out of my rib cage, but I did it and went back for more. To get myself out of a warm flat on a cold winters night to face busting a gut up the hill was a mental challenge for me*, but one I gritted my teeth & went out and faced. I really felt the changes over those weeks. There may have been more reps the following week, but each rep was that little bit easier to me.

Tonight I felt the benefit of the training I've put in throughout the year. I went at the first two reps hard, and obviously found I could tramp up it much faster for the same perceived effort. And then I slowed up and relaxed, stretching the legs but not over cooking them in prep for my run on Sunday.

*I did, however, avoid the week of howling winds & icy rain, but that might've been week 1 anyways

Tonight's blog is brought to you by The Who's Tommy- Pinball Wizard. See what I did there? Eh?
And thinking about Running up That Hill - it is a cover, mind
And here's one for balance Run to the Hills

No comments:

Post a Comment