Sunday 23 October 2011

First Trip to Glentress

So I got to properly christen my new bike today down at Glentress, in the delightful company of Alex, Hannah & Jo. There was banter, falling (only me though), fun, a snapped chain, a puncture and some mud.

I suspect my falling off (slowly and at corners) is to do with nerves and dodgy technique - I think I was putting my weight too far back on the bike & just not committing to it. Once I took my first wee tumble, I was far to aware of the edges that would've taken me downhill so tensed up a bit more. The next two tumbles came shortly after and I walked a big wide uphill road just to give myself time for my nerves to settle back down. There were a lot of downhill corners that I would take my left foot out & slow down for on the next section and I really struggled to get comfortable & feel safe. In that respect, the downhill corners reminded me a little of the ski run down to Vallorcine, from the Domaine de Balme. Did a similar thing, though the really wide piste let me get my confidence back quicker!

Maybe I should've gone with flat pedals rather than in the cleats, so I could've gotten a foot off much quicker & started back up faster (I'm still chronic at finding the cleat quickly) but I felt I should push myself out of my comfort zone quickly. That and it made going up most hills a lot easier - I was finding that I was selecting the correct gear quicker than I would on a road bike, hitting a reasonable cadence and using much more of the full rotation on the pedal and a lot more naturally than I have been on the road bike. Still not all the way there, but it gives me hope!

And on the downhills towards the end, when I got myself clipped in & forgot to be bricking it, I had a lot of fun (felt like I came close to majorly stacking it a couple of times mind, but those tyres are so grippy I pulled it back).

The important points for me was that I have an awfy lot to learn when it comes to mountain biking, but its fun & worth learning, and having friends there makes it easier to get back on the bike & keep going. I should be a fun addition to my winter training & will make me up my general bike handling skills & general co-ordination on a bike!

Today's blog, in honour of the spooky wood, is brought to you by the quite frankly hilarious Call of the Wintermoon by Immortal. Most of you will want to watch it muted, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment