Wednesday 27 July 2011

Footwear

For anyone that trains regularly in running, my thoughts here should be well know. For those that think they can't run, maybe this is the first step to getting their without hurting. If you do run regularly but haven't considered these things, maybe you should.

Until recent years, I never really gave much thought to what I put on my feet, if they were comfy & I liked the look of them, I wore them and that was that. Unfortunately I dislocated my left ankle 3 years ago, and as the doctors never saw fit to send me for physio, I never went looking for any, I still have a weakness in it. This means I have to be more careful about what footwear I choose. What I look for now is good support - a flat board shoe like Airwalks are horrific if I try and wear them all day and by the evening I'll be reaching for the ice. For day to day shoes now I tend to wear my Haglöfs Crag, the support I get from their heat moulded insoles is exceptional. I heartily recommend them.
The other thing is I pronate. Previously I used to get shin splints when running, but once I got gait analysis and fitted, decent running shoes, this particular problem disappeared.

Why I'm writing this now is I've been wearing a pair of shoes that pinch a little round the ball of the heel - if I wear them occasionally for a day, they're fine, but after a few days, I can fell the ankle weaken, and then I remember that I've been given plenty of exercises to help strengthen my ankles, and that I should stop slacking and get on with them.

2 comments:

  1. Go barefoot and learn to walk the way we evolved to, let nature build your ankle back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah yeah yeah, I did have a short barefoot run in the park on Sunday after my big run, and it did feel good, must admit.

    ReplyDelete