Thursday 28 July 2011

Round the Pond 28/07/11

Shock horror - an actual blog about my training session!

Following on from recent speed work, once more this block is round the pond, doing 500m laps (lap + a bit to be precise). Today we were doing a pyramid session, 1 lap on 2:30, 2 laps on 5:00, 3 laps on 7:30, minutes rest, then 3, 2, 1, try not to vomit.
I ran fairly consistently today, and rather fast. Myself and another guy led out throughout, pacing ourselves off each other, so I ran around about 2:00 (so I got a 30 second rest before restarting), 4:02, 6:00, 6:10, 4:05, 1:54. Since I don't have a fancy GPS watch yet, I'm going on remembering what the coach was shouting out as I tried to get oxygen back into my lungs.
The 2nd set of 2 laps was painful, I had to coax myself over the line with the lie that I could maybe sit the last one out, but dragged my sorry arse back out for one last lap. This time though, after having fresh air on our heels throughout (except when Sean to shoot past us because he was missing out laps due to his taper, so I caught onto his heels to drag myself round for that 6 minute mark), someone decided that he was going to run a fast lap for the last one, and as neither of us front runners were going to be taken by him, we picked up the pace to finish off with a stonking 1:54 (or there abouts). At that point, I *did* briefly consider vomiting, but instead chose hanging over double and gasping until the nausea went away.

I'm still getting people at the training sessions impressed with how my speed has upped big time, but to be fair, they did see me over winter when I was significantly slower and with rather poor cardio. It is very nice to hear though, and to see how much better I'm holding up against people who crushed me for speed in February (and in some cases I've started going faster than them). Very heartening.

No comments:

Post a Comment