Tuesday 30 August 2011

So, Training, eh?

I'll be honest, I've been slacking a bit in the old training department. My focus has shifted from Race Season to Roth, which, when I've still got a Standard Tri, a century ride, a sprint tri, a 10k, an assault course 10k and a 16 miler until my season is officially over, is not necessarily a good thing. I know I can get distracted by shiney things (case in point, see my last post), but I obviously need to learn to focus on whats at hand so that I can get to the cool shiney cool stuff *and* be awesome. I can also suffer a bit of the old post event dip - after Lisboa, it was like, yeah, that was great, now I'll chill, chill some more, take it easy in training

OHSHITI'VEGOTARACEINFIVEDAYSAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'd slipped into that mindset a little too much. While it was the second time I'd ran that distance in a oner, I saw the half marathon in the Aberfeldy relay as 'just' a half marathon, and while I felt I ran it well and showed my continual progression of the year, if I'd focussed a little better, I could maybe've ran it better. Learning process, eh? The week afterwards, I used my blistered feet as an excuse to slack off, but, in my defence, at least I was constructive with my time & got started gutting the flat, so its not all bad.

At the weekend, I found myself thinking on Strathclyde Standard this coming Sunday, and foreced myself out onto the bike in the blowing wind, as quite frankly, I've got no control over it this Sunday, so why not prepare for the worst? And then when I was out there, I made myself go up the Crow, and I thought "Why did I do that?" so I turned round & went back down the hill laughing AHAHAHAHAHTHATSWHYIDIDITWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then sauntered back home for a stretch & a bit of pain on the foam roller. Monday I went out for a short run in my old old shoes, I thanks to the nice wee blisters on my toes, decided that I'm probably better off with my old shoes come Sunday. Tonight I went to the swim session and again felt like a bit of a sack of potatoes, though in a few lengths I felt my catch improve and my body position in line, and wow, they felt awesome. I'm actually looking forward to the off season swim training so that I can focus more on getting the flaws ironed out of my technique instead of these speed & pacing sessions. The potential is there, and if I can get the majority feeling as good as those few today, I'll be jumping out of the pool with a grin on my face instead of a scowl more often!

Todays blog is brought to you by Rage Against The Machine's Freedom, with an unsurprisingly political video

No comments:

Post a Comment