Tuesday 2 August 2011

Support

I signed up for Roth with Mark, Hannah & Jo from the club, and it does make it all the more exciting to be entering an event like this with friends I train with. Over the next year, I've no doubt we'll be giving each other masses of support and encouragement and I know I'll be looking to them all for plenty of advice, which is why when Mark asked if I would be up for driving down to Bolton to cheer on Hannah in her first long distance race at Ironman UK, I didn't even have to think about it. I know from my races how much easier it feels when there are faces you know out there cheering you on.
We headed down without telling her, so I'm sure you can imagine the look on her face when she clocked us on the course - totally worth it. We caught her several times round the course, each time with a huge grin on her face as she cruised through the miles as steady as can be, before heading down to the finish line to witness her triumphant finish. Much respect & well done Hannah.

The whole day was spent cheering on everyone that went past; unknown spectators have raised my spirits so often before, so I wanted to help all those competitors the way I've been helped in the past. We cheered til we were hoarse and clapped till our hands hurt; the words and smiles from those passing were all that we needed in thanks.
So if you know someone competing, give them encouragement throughout their training and on the day. And iff there's a race near-by, get yourself out into the crowd and shout your lungs out. Maybe you'll get inspired too. I know my inspiration went up. Now I've seen what long distance is all about, and I. Can't. Wait!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment